Thursday 14 April 2011

Honey - Weekly Tasks

PORTRAITS



Photograph two portraits: The first portrait should be of someone you know.  Decide what you would like to say about this person and how you will use visual clues to say it. The second portrait should repeat this process with someone that you don’t know.  You will have to get consent from this person to photograph them. The two portraits should work together as a set either by including two people that are similar or by photographing two people in the same visual style, or both.


Prepare a statement about your intentions and how you put those intentions into action for next week’s portrait tutorial session.










For this weekly task, I decided on these 2 portraits. I thought it'd be funny and ironic to add the image of the cat as the task said to photograph "someone" - it's infact one of my favourite portraits! The cat, Chester, belongs to my boyfriend. However, I consider him to be my own! He's beautiful. I like the angle of the image, it's sort of on the level of the cats eyes/slightly beneathe. I used a pre set edit on my Nikon D80 which I quite liked, giving the photograph a cool feel. The second photo was taken of a friend's baby; I know the task said to take a photo of someone I don't know, however I'd never met the baby until the day I took the photo - is this allowed? Haha. Anyway. Again, it shares a symmetrical angle to the photo of Chester. I also like the faint shadows behing each of the subjects.






PLACES


(loved this lesson Honey by the way!)

Travel Photography Assignment: Take a bus or a train to somewhere that you have never been before. Take a photograph that tells us about the place. Take a photograph of something or someone that you found there.

Prepare a statement about your pictures describing what you have photographed and why.







So, for this task I was actually in my hometown Leicester. We had the option to do a fashion style photoshoot, which I loved the idea of because we had a similar project in first term. However, I opted to do the travel task to venture out and try something a bit different - I liked the idea of travelling somewhere i'd never been before. I took a bus to out in the country of Leicestershire, which ended me up in a little village called Houghton on the Hill - creepy I know - dispite the name, the place was quite lovely. I ended up on a field which leads on to some houses. There wasn't anyone about, and these two shots were the best out of the bunch. I don't mind, as I actually quite like them. The colours came out really well of the rope, contrasts really well with the green grass surrounding the rope swing. The photo of the tree fits well with the image, you can slightly see the colour of the rope - again, I like the silhouette outline of the tree (as you can gather, I like a good silhouette!). The image of the tree brings a creepy, eery feelings to the place, and yet the second image brings a warmer, innocent touch. I enjoyed the day!




EVENTS



Find an event to cover.  This could be a sporting event, a news event ( eg a demonstration), a community event, a music event etc. Bring two pictures from your coverage to next week’s session. One picture should be an overall shot that describes what was happening. The other should be a picture that sums up your experience of the event.

Prepare a statement about the event and why you chose the two pictures from all the pictures that you shot




Unfortunately, I missed this lecture. But i'll post some gig photos I did around the time of the task. The photos are really similar to eachother and probably don't answer the task in hand. However, I shoot gigs fairly regularly when I'm in Leicester. I have a few mates in a few bands - surprise surprise! I absolutely love it. I've toured with a friend's band to Barcelona, Amsterdam and big venues in London - all of which I've gained a lot of experience from.



SEMIOTICS

AKA. The study of signs and sign processes


  • A sign is a combination of a signifier with a particular signified
  • The SIGNIFIER is the physical form of the sign.  It also referred to as DENOTATION
  • The SIGNIFIED is the concept it represents.  It is also referred to as CONNOTATION
  • The signifier and signified have an associative link - each triggers the other
  • The relationship between signifier and signified is arbitrary and dependent on social and cultural conventions
CAT 
 (SIGNIFIER)

+


 

(SIGNIFIED)

=

SIGN


SYMBOLS: are signs that represent an object by a cultural convention that must be learnt.

ICONS: are signs that have qualities which resemble those of the objects that they represent but also have some cultural associations.  

INDEXICAL: signs are directly connected to the objects that they represent for example unedited photography or film.


_________________________________________________________________

There are social codes that include verbal language, body language, behavior rituals and fashion codes.
There are textual codes that include scientific codes, aesthetic and arts codes and mass media codes.
There are interpretive codes that include ideological codes.
_____________________________________________________
SEMIOTICS TASK:
1. Identify the signifiers in this picture?
Priminister David Cameron, a broom, rubbish, rubber tyres.
2. What do they signify?
David cameron is sweeping the rubbish off a street.
3. What does the signifier and it’s signified form?
I think it's trying to send a message to the public about David Cameron's intentions.
4. How do the signs in this picture combine to form a message?
I think there could be a number of things the image is saying. In my opinion, It's as if David Cameron is saying he's cleaning the "mess" the Labour Government have left the country in. Or, the image could be trying to send the message that David Cameron is trying to appeal to working class citizens - maybe if we work together we can save the country's economic crisis?

No comments:

Post a Comment